Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tomato Obsession



A few days ago I posted about the new tomato seedlings I planted in my garden. I also have grown some interesting varieties from seed, and they were just about the right size to go in the balcony garden (some, like the Aunt Ruby's German Green were early germinators and went in the garden earlier.) I realised it was going to be a very major job, I would have to use up the last of the carrots because they were in the pots designated for the tomatoes (I'll post on the yummy consequences soon) and I needed to dash to the nursery for emergency top ups of potting mix. A quick drive, two or three packets of organic top grade potting mix (the tomatoes love it) and maybe some marigolds on the side. Simple, easy, right???

We all know I am an impulse shopper. It was worked well in the past, the boronia, and the gazanias have been absolute hits. But when I spied the new tomto varieties, I think I might have lost the plot. So instead of planting out new carefully reared in the balcony garden window seedlings, I purchased not one, not two, but three alternatives. Ooooopsss. The first impulse buy was a white beauty. I grew a white cloud tomatoes last season, but they were quite thick skinned so it wasn't the best. I also tried to grow a white tomesol in the winter tomato experiment but that was a big flop. This guy is neatly in by the glass.


Second was a purple cherokee. I had a few of these last year that I grew late in the season from seed but they fell victim to that wilt. Hopefully this one might work better.


Last but by no means least, and actually I suspect this one is the star of the show ... a mortgage lifter!!! I thought these only came in the heirloom fourpack, but this new seedling company has them singally! So excited. Mortgage Lifters are my all time favourite.


I also bought two more yellow tumbler tomatoes, they were planned so I wont count them as an impulse buy.



Only problem is, now the seedlings I had all ready to go, the home hand reared ones, have to wait a few more weeks before they can be planted, pot space is at a premium on the balcony garden at present. And it also looks like a sea of stakes!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it happens to the best of us, doesn't it? I'm thinking about trying 'Mortgage Lifter' myself. But not for several months, of course. In a few months, I predict you'll be in a veritable jungle. Oh what bliss!

PJ said...

Grace - Mortgage Lifters are just so lovely. Hopefully the months go by quickly and you can plant again soon. I am definitely waiting for it to get a bit more jungle like, and get a bit more privacy from the street.