Thursday, October 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day

There is only one flower that matters in the balcony garden right now - the first ever zucchini flower. It is a girl flower, and there is another girl flower about to open. Like a proud parent I took photos from every angle.



In the hetero-normative world of balcony gardening a zucchini cannot be fully formed without a male flower. Alas the male flowers are still in a juvenile phase. The only thing to be done is to cut off the female zucchini flowers, small yellow zuke and all and stuff them with goats cheese and chard, then grill them and eat them! If zucchinis aren't your thing then here is a selection of gazania blooms from the balcony today.



8 comments:

Scattered Gardener said...

You do well with your little space! Beautiful photos and lovely colours for GBBD.

Anonymous said...

Impressive!

Jamie said...

Zucchinis on a balcony - olé! Great work, Prue. I can't resist growing the things, either. But I'm way behind you. My seeds just came up this week. You're an inspiration to us all!

Chandramouli S said...

Ah! Your balcony is sooo colorful and you're a constant inspiration for duds like me, Prue!

Dan said...

Your zuke is a beaut! I bet it tastes better stuffed then it looks though, yum.

Sue Swift said...

How odd - I'd always thought the male flowers come out first. My problem growing zucchini is that I get thousands of male flowers - but no female ones at all. And then the red spider mite hit and that's the end of tat. What am I doing wrong?

PJ said...

Hi Scattered Gardener - thanks! Got to make the most of whatever space we get.

Gardenofwords - thanks also :)

Jamie - I must admit I cheated and bought a seedling for the zucchini but I am amazed at how quickly it grew. Top notch potting mix seems to be the key.

Chandramouli - you are not a dud! I suspect the environmental conditions you have to work within are far harsher than my easy little microcosm here. :)

Dan - it does look good, but it spiked me the other day, seems I gotta learn to wear gloves. What do you stuff your zucchini flowers with? I usually use risotto but am thinking buffalo mozzarella and spinach ...

Sue - I know it is odd, but just means more baby zucchini to enjoy on the dinner table. Ugh I hate hate hate red spider mites, do you know how to get rid of them? Heatwave seemed to be the only thing that worked last time!

Dan said...

I like them stuffed with ricotta, parm & chili then battered and fried, yum. Moz & spinach sounds good too.