Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Tomatoes Left Behind

I have decided to head back to Melbourne soon, and as I consider the 10 hour long bus ride (no flights at a reasonable price as it is the end of school holidays) I think about what will greet me when I get back. In particular I wonder about the indoor tomato plants which poor Second Totally Awesome Balcony Sitter was left to pollinate with an electric toothbrush. She suggested they were fruiting well but missing me (an interesting message to interpret.) When I left I had just repotted some of the indoor tomatoes. A Big Pineapple tomato went in to join the Siberian tomato in the study.


Here too I potted up a large pot with both a Big Pineapple tomato and a White Tomesol tomato. I did not stake them properly before I left, gambling on the fact they would not grow too big.



In the main room I also put some Amana orange seeds and some Aunt Ruby's German Green tomato seeds to germinate. Around these I left the remaining seedlings (Big Pineapple and White Tomesol) in their little pots because I had no where to plant them at the time! I wonder how big they grew, as they too were not staked.



the Siberians all had lots of flowers, and I showed the housesitter how to pollinate them with the electric toothbrush.



All sooooooooo interesting, I guess I'll find out at the end of the week! As for the random tomato in Mum's garden this winter - it fruited, but stopped growing when the frost hit (not a proper frost, just a weak but slightly deadly Adelaide frost).

4 comments:

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I'm a pessamist and a total worry-wort, so I won't interpret your house sitter's comment. I would have never thought to try growing tomatoes indoors. Are you using supplemental lights, or are they getting enough light from the windows?

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

FYI, "pessamist" is an alternative spelling of "pessimist." :-P

PJ said...

Fern, hehe they are just by the window, which gets a few hours direct sunlight a day - i'm surprised they germinated, let alone grew a metre tall and sprouted. Just another great mystery of the balcony garden

Chandramouli S said...

Pineapple tomatoes? Do they grow huge? Never heard of 'em! God! Your balcony is like a magic land. Seems to fit the entire world in!