Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day June

There really is only one flower in the balcony garden worth mentioning this GBBD, and it is not even out on the balcony. It is inside, in my study to be exact, an offshoot of the original indoor tomato experiment. It is ...


A tomato flower! Yes all of the plants are budding but today, yes today, this one decided to open its yellowness to the world! Now to get to it with the electric toothbrush, pollinate, and wait and hope! So there are a few other blossoms out there, but not many, as it has been a pretty cold start to winter. There are plenty of snow pea blossoms and bush bean blossoms. I am not sure how they survive the mild frosts.


And a few violas and snap dragons also trying desperately to stave off the pain from morning frosts. You can see the burn. The marigolds are going okay, a few lovely bright orange heads, although I had to help them along with the aphid scaring job!


And the lemon tree never seems to stop blooming! Although some are dying off a little without producing fruit.



Another fruit in the garden, the strawberry, has gone white with fright. I know strawberry flowers are usually white but this variety is a lowanna and as seen in previous posts their flowers are a hot pink. I think the cold weather and the move outside has shocked this plant into old age!



The sunflowers are great. These pics are how I view them, the orange one is at my head height, the yellow one, his head is in the clouds! I still haven't seen the flowerhead properly, better get to know my upstairs neighbours!


So there you have it. June in the balcony garden, most blooms relate to possible edibles, and the most important of all is that indoor tomato. Still so excited thinking about it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just goes to show flowers will grow just about anywhere!

Rose said...

How exciting to see that first tomato blossom! You certainly have a lot of blooms on your balcony in spite of threats of frost.

JGH said...

Yes, it's the veggie flowers that excited me the most today, too. But having them inside is extra-impressive!

Daphne said...

That sunflower is really gorgeous. I'm growing them this year, but outside. I get excited about my tomato blossoms too. I just can't wait for my first tomato.

Dan said...

Nice blooms and that huge sunflower is so cool. I played along with GBBD as well this time.

Patsy Bell said...

Love the sun flowers. Do the birds come eat the seeds?