Thursday, April 30, 2009

two degrees overnight means ...


... Tomatoes go bye bye! It is unseasonably cold here in Melbourne. Well ok it is Melbourne and cold weather is pretty much its claim to fame. Still it is still only April (just) and the record cold morning this morning of 2 degrees is far too chilly, far too early! The scarily early cold snap means one thing. We must wave farewell to the almost ripened but just not quite there White Cloud tomato.


I will pick all the little green ones and hope that they somehow ripen inside. Warmth and a good old banana will probably help there. All I want to do it try one, must one, from this struggler of a plant. It survived a heatwave as a young plant and a wilt as it got older.


Now it has to battle 2 degree mornings with semi frost. Sorry my friend, little aussie battler that you are, the compost (or, more likely the bin as I have no compost) will have to be your new home. Until next spring ...

7 comments:

Kirstie Close said...

poor unfortunate plants. it was bitterly cold this morning. my car was completely frosted over, and i couldn't get the windows down as a result! hope we don't have too many of those nights...

Anonymous said...

Hi, I hope you can get a ripe tomato. I wonder if your winter is going to be colder than normal as was ours was up here in the north. Here's to a warm up!!

PJ said...

Kirstie - oh no your poor thing! Our windows were all fogged up because of the temp difference!

Grace - probably Global warning rearing its ugly head. Not a fan of cold winters, and even though it barely hits freezing here, I find it bitterly cold! Hope you have a lovely warmish Summer

Dan said...

That's a pretty chilly evening. That is even cold for use this time of year. Of course a few months ago that would have been a warm day.

I have heard if you keeping green tomatoes in a paper bag they will slowly ripen. I have not tried it but some people keep tomatoes going for months.

Lisa said...

I was determined not to pick all my tomatoes - so I picked them from one plant, just in case, and put those ones inside to ripen: and now I've been putting a picnic blanket over the rest of the plants each night before sunset, and removing it each day before I go to work.

Have I used the words Stepford Wife yet?

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

How nice to see your tomatoes.... they look healthy though. Yours very much flatter compared to mine..

PJ said...

Dan - Yeah was cold. Might try the paper bag idea, although the window sill appears to be working just fine

Lisa - Good idea! heheeh not quite Stepford Wife yet, though give it ... One of the white tomatoes I brought inside ripened, so might pull the whole lot this weekend and be done with it

Bangchik and Kakdah, I have been waiting with bated breath to see more pictures of your tomatoes, so far they look lovely! Hope they taste great too