Friday, March 13, 2009

Things I like in Mum's Garden

In my previous post I had a look at the one thing Mum seemingly didn't like in her garden, a sunflower that passed its use-by date and was promptly beheaded.

In order to present happier things I thought I would muse quickly on the aspects I love in Mum's garden (at least what was there last weekend)

The yellow roses, which were in full bloom when I was there were wonderful. I love yellow roses, even if they appear to symbolise contrasting images of friendship and joy and dying love and healousy.


The oversized herb bushes are ace! The Rosemary keeps on growing, the sage is ginormous, and she never seems to kill it like I do, and her basil is just phenomenal.


The Chilli bush. I meant to bring some home with me to grow on the balcony garden, but oooops. Maybe next time.


Last, and my most favourite of all, is my two little garden helpers in Adelaide, Carrington and Radcliffe. While not so adept with a fork or spade, they supervised goings on very well, fertilised the lemon tree and provided cuddles afterwards. Given their cushy life I have decided that if i get reincarnated I want it to be as a spaniel!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely.... I have to comment on your yellow rose. I have over 30 different roses in my garden, and an $2.99 rose from a bag is my most beautiful one. I of course love the old english ones... but if a non-rose lover comes to see my house...they drool over that yellow rose. I do not even know the name of it... but it is striking. Lovely post....
Brooke

Anonymous said...

I like your red chilly. The shape of them is interesting. Very different from I usually see.

Dan said...

Those are some fine looking sage & rosemary plants. Cool looking pepper too, friars hat chile?

Anonymous said...

What kind of chili pepper is that? It looks very unusual!

Chandramouli S said...

I too like your mum's chillis! Wish I could get some to my terrace garden too ;)

a said...

I'm also a fan of yellow roses, not sure why, I just think they look more cheerful. Also our rosemary is doing really well, we took heaps of cuttings from one large plant we have, and now have a thriving hedge of rosemary around one of the garden beds - it makes a great hedging plant - and when you prune it into shape the smell always reminds me of roast chicken... not a good thing if your gardening hungry!

Looking forward to rain (not showers, but RAIN!) today?

Kirstie Close said...

What a rosemary bush! Lovely to see the puppies supervising. What a team.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It sounds like you had fun visiting home for the wedding. I love your mom's herbs. I had to laugh about the sunflower. Our squirrels cut our blooms off before the seeds were even ripe.