Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day

It has been a couple of years (I think) since I participated in Garden Bloggers Blooms Day. It wasn't for lack of floral bits on the balcony garden, it was simply one of the things that went by the wayside. But I'm back, and with some little floral tidbits from this winter month. Currently blooming:


The four year old geranium (pelargonium for the pedants.) I've never changed its pot, never added soil, never really shown it any care and yet it flowers and flowers and flowers, through any season (we are almost at the end of winter right now, but given the rain and low temps you would think it was mid winter)


Above: random purple flowers from the rockery mix. Anyone know what they are? (I know the ones in the background are violets, it is the ones in the front that have me muddled.) And if you know what that flower is, can you tell me what this one is? Here is a close up on the violets below:


Violas/Johnny Jumpups, jumping up everywhere (wanted and unwanted places alike.)To see what can be achieved in the kitchen with these, visit here.



The Jacobinia is flowering!!! Such beautiful colours but the leaves have thinned. I don't think it is the snails that have been thinning leaves elsewhere but will have to keep an eye on it 


No matter what I did I couldn't get a clear photo of the daphne, which has been flowering the last few weeks. Besides who needs a photo, with Daphne it is the smell which is more divine.


So much of this Allysum growing in the garden, it even overhangs the balcony on occasions (I pull it back in case the body corporate don't approve.)


The lime tree is getting into the action, and so is the lemon tree.


And my favourite at the moment, one very sad looking sunflower. It took all winter to grow and is spindley and sickley but its single flower opened today. Yay sunflower!

May Dreams Gardens hosts the Garden Bloggers Blooms day, so head on over there to see many more garden in full bloom.

5 comments:

HELENE said...

What a lovely collection of flowers :-) Since you have winter right now I guess you must be on the other side of the world from me, I live in London and although we are supposed to have summer we have had a lot of rain since April and I can't say I feel summer have really started yet - and it's soon over!

digging up the dirt said...

You are right you don't need a clear photo of your Daphene I can almost smell it from here (or perhaps that is mine?)

Is the pink flower a phlox? It looks like a delphinium leaf in the picture so not sure if I am even helping.

Great display

Lea said...

Great blooms!
I especially like the violas!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

scottweberpdx said...

Just lovely...gotta love those Pelargoniums...they really thrive on neglect, it seems. Couldn't agree more about Daphne...it's ALL about the smell!

daniel (small kitchen garden) said...

I have a small garden space relative to what I'd prefer, so it warms my heart to see someone squeezing what they can into an even smaller space. I look forward to seeing what the balcony provides during summer (as winter shuts down my garden).