Monday, February 23, 2009

Sister Awake

Although it is going to be hot again today, the recent spate of relatively mild weather has awoken some pretties in the balcony garden.

Slowly but surely this yellow daisy thingo (still not good on plant names, so we will have to use their inept gardener names for the moment) opened up.


Even the Zinnias in the hanging basket came out to play in the milder weather (there are now about four different colours of these but I have to stand on a chair to reach them, so maybe I will post on that tomorrow) I was inspired to plant Zinnias after a post by Jamie of Garden Amateur who showed just how much they stood up to the warmer weather. I suspect with my penchant for overcrowding and the sunny spot they have found themselves in, I probably wont have such a high level of success. The test begins with today's warmer day


And on the window sill, the strawberry plant which faced eviction not much over a week ago is earning its reprieve by flowering and fruiting in extraordinary fashion. This photo in no way does justice to she sheer amount of flowers this plant is putting out. I guess she knew her days were numbered and woke up one more time. Nice work.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

It's amazing what happens when you threaten plants...

PJ said...

heheh too true Michelle. I actually did talk sternly to the strawberry and took it over to the green waste pile but for some reason let it live. Lucky i did!

Dan said...

Your yellow daisy thingo is a Gazania. I have grown them a few times, they are very nice.

Nice to see the blooms on your balcony.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope it doesn't get hot again. But if it does you know which stalwarts will be there when it cools. I bet the strawberries are yummy!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I like gazanias, too. It was nice to see what you have growing on your balcony. Here in Nebraska, U.S. it's still winter, but we are getting some spring like weather in between the cold snaps. I'm just glad the days are getting longer, and soon it will be March.

Jamie said...

Prue, your gazanias (originally from Africa) should handle the heat just as well as the zinnias (originally from Mexico), and they both should power along once it cools down a bit.