Monday, February 9, 2009

No Mum, that's not pumpkin soup


Despite what it looks like, the contents of that teacup is not a creamy pumpkin soup. It is, of all things, a yellow tomato paste that went in to making a rather decadent meal for two.

Saturday, our 46.4 degree day led me to hide out indoors. I had earlier pulled as many tomatoes as possible off the plants in a vain hope of saving them from the ills of the hot weather. After colour coordinating the tomatoes I realised with glee that I had just enough to make a batch of pasta sauce out of the yellow ones!

Peeled and chopped, I reduced the yellow tomatoes down, seeds, mushy bits and all, over a low heat. This took a good half hour or so. Then added some grated mushrooms, garlic, carrot and basil and simmered away gently until it was just the right consistency.


It didn't stop there. While I am a fan of homemade pasta, the lack of flour in the house, and a severe disinterest in exiting the walls of the place, meant I had to go the fallback option of store bought fresh lasagne sheets. Ravioli (of sorts) was on the cards, with a basil and 3 cheese filling (Brie, Smoked and Cheddar). I cut the lasagne sheets into shapes, placing filling gently between two and folding to close. What shape did I choose? See below!


Add one garden fresh salad, complete with a home grown lettuce and green zebra tomato, add cooked pasta, top with the yellow tomato sauce, more cheese, some basil and voila!


Decadent and delicious and mostly homemade! Yum.

4 comments:

My Mother's Garden said...

Yummy! It looks absolutely scrumptious! Great fast thinking before you tomatoes had a chance to go bad.

Anonymous said...

What a mouth-watering meal -- I can taste the zing in that sauce!

Michelle said...

oh wow, that looks, uh, looked good!

Antigonum Cajan said...

This blog reminds me of one my postings: Similarities between
Gastronomy and Horticulture/Gardening.

Until next..