Monday, April 5, 2010

Harvests past, harvests future

I hope everyone had a happy Easter, or whatever you did over the last few days. I am in Adelaide with my lovely family for a week and a bit of rest. I just love spending this time of year with relatives even if I do need to spend half of it working on the thesis. I have left the balcony garden in the care of special housemate H. Wonder how things will go? While I haven't got a proper harvest post this monday this is an ode to future harvests and harvests past that did not go into my belly. A few weeks back I began the autumn planting, mostly broccoli, lettuce and snow peas, with a few parsnip seeds thrown in for good measure. These are some pictures of the Autumn newbies and future harvestables.





And for more future havests? I spied a possible tomato resurrection! These were written off for dead a few weeks ago, the wilt attacking even the highest of the hanging pots. Yet as I left, this one remaining pot seemed laden with green tomatoey goodness. Fingers crossed they are ready when I go home.


As for harvests past that went elsewhere, five minutes before leaving for the airport I decided to harvest the beetroots due to constant attack from pests. I left them as a pressie for special housemate H.



One other harvesterific moment happened the day before I left. With hints of orange I stripped most of the habaneroes off the laden mini bush and handed them over to friends.


7 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Oh wow! I see you have a good start and nice to hear you are having fun. Oh dear! The tomatoes are wilting? I hope they recover completely. Those tomatoes look like tiny mangoes. Sweet!

Lanie said...

Just found your blog...I am also gardening in a small space (in Rozelle, Sydney). Know how you feel re: leaving your plants to someone else to look after. My tomatoes have had a comeback also...

Daphne Gould said...

I wonder if I grew haberanos if I would have the guts to make hot sauce out of them. I love the stuff, but I'd be afraid of pureeing the things and breathing the fumes.

I hope you get some more tomatoes.

michelle said...

I hope you little tomatoes survive and are ripe and luscious when you get back home! The fall plantings are looking good.

Angela said...

Nice fall plantings! And good luck with the tomatoes, those fall, plant looks dead tomatoes tend to be super tasty!

PJ said...

Chandramouli - tomatoes wilted a long time ago, I am just glad I got a few from them and hopefully a few from this last one. Love mangoes - wish they were tiny mangoes! Alas I don't think mangoes grow too well in Melbourne, wrong climate.

Daphne - heheh just give them to a friend to make the hot sauce and hope they let you try some :) Fingers crossed on the tomato front.

Michelle - thanks! The autumn stuff is definitely thriving, better still when we get more rain.

Angela - fingers crossed on the extra tasty tomatoes!

PJ said...

Lanie - for some reason your comment disappeared then reappeared! Welcome to the blog and good luck with the small space gardening. What tomatoes are you growing that made a comeback?